Runner Strength Workout B – September Calendar
If you’re following this month’s workout calendar today is a strength training day. Since it’s the second strength training day of the week I’m calling it ‘Strength Workout B’ this month. (Tuesday’s strength workout is Strength Workout A.)
Here is a photo of each move in case you’re not familiar. All of the strength moves this month are body weight exercises – so you don’t need any equipment! And they’re all fairly popular exercises so you might already be familiar with them. But in case you want a refresher… check em out below.
Runner Strength Workout B
- 20 Sumo Squats
- 30 Reverse Lunges
- 60 sec Plank
- 20 Superwomans
- 20 Plank Taps
Repeat 2 or 3 times if it works with your personal fitness and schedule.
Focus on proper form. This helps to really target the muscles you’re working during each move AND avoid injury. If you’re not doing it right you’re not getting all the benefits of each move. And you also increase the change of injury if you have bad form.
This is a quick workout so you want to be sure and get the most out of it by doing the exercises correctly.
Smile! Have fun. Be proud of yourself.
How to do a Sumo Squat:
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip distance apart, feet slightly turned out.
- Squat – pushing your hips back, bending your knees and keep your upper body tall and lifted, core in tight.
- Return back to start standing up tall, knees slightly bent (don’t lock them out).
30 Reverse Lunges
How to do Reverse Lunges:
- Stand tall, feet about hip distance apart.
- Take a big step backward with your left foot.
- Bend your front knee and lower your hips into a lunge position, back leg bent. The heel of your back foot should stay up for the push-off back to starting position.
- Push off your leg and return to the starting position – standing tall, feet hip distance apart.
- Alternate legs, step with your right foot next. Repeat, alternating for planned number of reps.
60 second Plank
How to do a Plank:
- Start on the floor, on your hands and knees.
- Put your forearms on the floor under your shoulders. Engage your abs and extend your legs straight to create a ‘plank’ with your body.
- Hold this plank position with a neutral spine, neck straight. Squeeze your glutes and keep your core in tight. Hold for planned workout time.
Super woman Exercise (formally Superman Exercise)
How to do Super Woman Exercise:
- Lie face down on your stomach with arms and legs extended out, neck straight (neutral). Your body forms an ‘X’ on the mat.
- Lift your arms and legs straight up toward the sky. Your core should stay in the same place on the mat, with your body forming and upside down rainbow as your arms and legs are lifted.
- Hold for a beat, then release back to the mat. Repeat for planned reps.
How to do Plank Taps:
- Start in plank position on your hands.
- Keep your core in tight and glutes squeezed. Lift right hand to tap your left shoulder.
- Place right hand back down to the floor. Check that you’re maintaining proper plank form.
- Lift your left hand to touch your right shoulder.
- Alternate sides for recommended reps.
Save this on Pinterest so you can repeat this workout next week!
Running Workout Calendar – free printable
It’s NOT too late to join us! Get the September Calendar for Runners here!
SHOW UP for yourself this month!
Check in with your run or workout or rest day on Instagram tagging @RunEatRepeat or in the comments of my daily post!
ALWAYS consult your doctor before trying any new diet or exercise.